The APC convention 2022 for the presidency primaries is set to hold today being the 6th of June, 2022.
The indirect mode of primaries will be used as 2322 delegates across the 36 states and Federal Capital Territory FCT will determine the fate of the 13 cleared aspirants by the John Oyegun led screening committee. The screening committee conducted a thorough check on the 23 presidential aspirants under the flagship of the All Progressives Congress out of which 13 were cleared and 10 were disqualified. The list below:
The list of the 13 cleared aspirants includes:
- Abubakar, Badaru
- Akpabio, Godswill Obot
- Lawan, Ahmed (Senate President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria)
- Nwajiuba, Chukwuemeka Uwaezuoke (Minister of State Education)
- Onu, Christopher
- Osinbajo, Yemi (Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria)
- Tinubu, Asiwaju Ahmed Bola (APC Chieftain)
- Umahi, Nweze David (Governor of Ebonyi State)
- Amaechi, Chibuike Rotimi (Immediate former minister of transporation)
- Amosun, Ibikunle (Governor of Ogun State)
- Bello, Yahaya (Governor of Kogi State)
- Fayemi, John Kayode (Governor of Ekiti State)
- Jack -Rich, Tein
While the list of the 10 disqualified aspirants includes:
- Rochas Okorocha, former Imo State governor
- Ben Ayade, Governor of Cross River state
- Tunde Bakare, General Overseer of Latter Rain Assembly
- Sani Yerima, former Zamfara State Governor
- Ken Nnamani, former president of the Senate
- Ikeobasi Mokelu, former Minister of Information
- Demeji Bankole, former Speaker of the House of Representatives
- Ajayi Borroffice, Deputy Senate Leader
- Felix Nicholas, United States (US) based pastor
- Uju Ken-Ohanenye
However the fate of these 13 aspirants is to be determined by 2322 delegates across the country, here is the breakdown of APC delegates by states and regions:
APC DELEGATES BY STATES
Total: 336 delegates
Total: 558 delegates
Total: 360 delegates
Total: 411 delegates
Cross River 54
Total: 372 delegates
Total: 285 delegates
APC DELEGATES BY REGION
South-East : 285 Delegates
North-East : 336 Delegates
North-Central : 360 Delegates
South-South : 372 Delegates
South-West : 411 Delegates
North-West : 558 Delegates
Zoning Arrangements and Stepping down
Sequel to the delegates distribution on zoning the presidential tickets to the South, Alh. Badaru Abubakar have stepped down his presidential ambition with due respects to the zoning arrangements, which have gained him more popularity as credibility for respecting the quota system as agreed by the party. Our correspondents also have it that Dave Umahi, governor of Ebonyi State have also stepped down. The recent stepping down of the Jigawa State Governor was motivated by the move by 12 APC governors who insist on power shift to the Southern region.
Series of Closed-door meetings
President Muhammadu Buhari have had series of closed-door meetings which have gotten the atmosphere stirred up to the intention and motivation of such meeting.
During President Muhammadu Buhari closed door meeting with the aspirants on 4th June, 2022, the president insisted on a consensus candidate in order to ascertain unity and harmony within the party. However, the meeting have not yet yielded any possible result for now as now consensus candidate was adopted.
On the 6th June 2022, President Muhammadu Buhari is also having a meeting with the Northern APC Governor at the state house Abuja. The meeting have made people worried as the Northern Governors only will produce 1254 delegates out of the 2322 delegates. The meeting direction is not made publicly to the media as whether to support the zoning arrangement to favour the South or to make a new paradigm shift.
APC Chairman Announced Ahmed Lawan as Consensus Candidate
The twist of the consensus candidate have just taken a new dimension as the APC National Chairman Senator Adamu have just announced Senator Ahmed Lawan (Senate President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria) as the consensus candidate for the 2022 convention. News have it that the party is about cracking and splitting.
More Details Shortly….